Connection Capital invests in established, growing, high quality UK businesses, backing experienced management teams. We aim to deliver investors returns of 2x - 5x money, net of all fees and carried interest, over a five year investment period.
We are sector agnostic and have invested in businesses operating in a wide range of sectors. Click here to view our current and past portfolio companies.
- UK companies that require £3m - £10m of equity funding across a diverse range of sectors Management teams with a clear and demonstrable track record.
- We seek well established, already profitable businesses of £1m+ EBITDA with ambition to grow.
- We do not invest in early stage or start up companies.
- Growth / Development Capital: we provide established, profitable companies with capital to facilitate organic or acquisitive growth. Investments include Sleeperz Hotels, Baxter’s Place, The Light, Virtua and 23.5 Degrees.
- Management buy-outs: we provide strong management teams with the funding they need to spin out of a corporate, or take control of a private company. Investments include: Wagamama, Virgin Wines, Teamsport, Impero and Carter Cabin Hire.
- Replacement Capital: we provide the funding to acquire all or part of the stakes in a private company held by one or more significant shareholders. This is often completed alongside an element of growth capital at a point of change in a company’s development. Investments include Earthmill and Redeem
Many of our private equity investments are structured with a combination of Ordinary shares and Loan Notes or Preference Shares. We select the “optimal” structure depending on the individual circumstances of each transaction. As we are not a fund we can be far more flexible than most private equity funds in ensuring the appropriate structure is used in each case.
Where it is appropriate, we are experienced in structuring investments in an EIS* compliant manner, which can improve terms for the companies we back as well as their management teams and our clients. (*Enterprise Investment Scheme which has significant tax savings for investors)
In short, our investment structures are designed to provide clients with the best possible returns, combined with the lowest possible risk, whilst providing funding to management teams to drive growth in high quality UK businesses.
In assessing each potential investment opportunity we combine the expertise of our own highly experienced Private Equity team with the invaluable sector specific knowledge and experience of our clients; this is an integral part of our rigorous appraisal process. All of our investment opportunities are assessed and evaluated by our own Investment Committee before being offered to our clients.
Concurrent with the fund raise we commission appropriate third party financial, commercial, legal and other Due Diligence as required. The findings and conclusions of this, together with any significant changes from the original Investment Proposal are communicated to those clients who have committed to invest in a “Pre-Completion Memorandum” prior to “legal completion”.
Clients receive “Investment Reviews” for each of their investments twice yearly, in May and November. These Investment Reviews provide valuations and a report on how the investment is performing.